“Intercessory Storytelling: The Ethical Impact of Legolas’s Storytelling in The Lord of the Rings.” Under review with The Journal of Tolkien Research.
“The Art of Eternal Disaster: Tolkien’s Apocalypse and the Road to Healing.” Tolkien Studies: An Annual Scholarly Review, vol. XVI, 2019. 91–109.
“‘No Pagan ever loved his god’: Tolkien, Thompson, and the Beautification of the Gods.” Mythlore: A Journal of J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Charles Williams, and Mythopoeic Literature, vol. 37.1 (Fall/Winter), 2018. Download the article here.
Essays & Reviews
Review of Music in Tolkien’s Work and Beyond. Edited by Julian Eilmann and Friedhelm Schneidewind. Forthcoming in Mythlore.
Review Essay of There Would Always Be a Fairy Tale: More Essays on Tolkien, by Verlyn Flieger, Kent State UP, 2017. Fafnir: Nordic Journal of Science Fiction and Fantasy Research, vol. 5.1, 2018. Access the review here.
Current & Upcoming: Tor.com article series on characters in J.R.R. Tolkien’s Middle-earth legendarium. Published articles:
- Galadriel, Mighty and Valiant
- Gandalf, Kindler of Hearts
- Aulë, the Artist’s Pattern
- The Many Faces of Finduilas
- Saruman, Man of Craft and Fallen Wizard
- The Witch-king of Angmar, Lord of the Nazgul
- Yavanna Kementári, Giver of Gifts
- One Ring to Rule Them All
- Elrond Half-elven, Healer of Rivendell
- Denethor II, Steward of Gondor
- Idril the Far-Sighted, Wisest of Counsellors
- Maedhros Maitimo, Foe of Morgoth
- Legolas, a Radical Warrior
- Sauron–Craftsman, Ring-giver, and Dark Lord
- Haleth, Tolkien’s “Renowned Amazon”
- Melian, Divine Enchantress and Deathless Queen
- Glorfindel, Resurrected Hero and Spiritual Warrior
- Éowyn, Shieldmaiden of Rohan
- Míriel, Historian of the Noldor (Part 1 & 2)
- Nerdanel, Called the Wise
Conferences & Talks
“Staggering towards the Light: Utopia in Shelley’s The Last Man.” FSU, April 2020.
“Returning to the Scene of Victory: Apocalypse in the Climactic Moments of The Lord of the Rings.” TexMoot, Houston, TX, February 2020.
“The Life and Legacy of J.R.R. Tolkien.” Guest lecture. River Terrace Church, East Lansing, MI, May 2019.
“Translating Trickster: Reading Loki for the 21st Century.” “More than Marvel: Representations of Norse Mythology in Contemporary Popular Culture,” ICMS, Kalamazoo, MI, May 2019.
“Death by Romance: The Tortured Textuality of Alcott’s A Modern Mephistopheles.” Hideous Progeny: The Gothic in the Nineteenth Century, Loyola University Chicago Victorian Society, Chicago, October 2018.
“‘No Pagan ever loved his god’: Tolkien, Thompson, and the Beautification of the Gods.” Mythcon 49, The Mythopoeic Society, Atlanta, July 2018. [Received the Alexei Kondratiev Award from the Mythopoeic Society]
“The Last of the Minstrels: Tolkien’s Quest for Abdication in the Age of the Author.” NCUR, Asheville, NC, April 2016. [Received the Outstanding Undergraduate Research Award from Milligan College]
“The Return of the King: Power Constructs and Cycles in The Lord of the Rings.” NCUR, Asheville, NC, April 2016. [Received the Edwin W. Gaston scholarship from the Alpha Chi National College Honor Society]
“The Stranger in the Mirror: Identity Formation and the Other Construct in Selected Short Stories.” First annual Tennessee Experiential Learning Symposium (TELS), University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN, October 2015.